REPORTING TO: Director of Product Engineering
LOCATION: Westborough, MA
The Mechanical Engineer at Kopin is a critical role that balances innovative new product development with the sustainment of existing manufacturing. This position involves both the development of new electromechanical systems and supporting current manufacturing operations to ensure efficiency, quality, and cost-effectiveness.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and development of mechanical and electromechanical systems and products, from conceptualization through to implementation.
- Design and document new display assemblies and components, including 3D modeling and 2D drawing.
- Utilize simulation and analysis methods (FEA, CFD, statistical tolerance analysis) to validate designs and optimize performance.
- Develop and optimize manufacturing processes and equipment for both new and existing products, focusing on efficiency, cost reduction, and quality improvement.
- Develop fixtures and tooling to support manufacturing operations.
- Implement and maintain process control methodologies, such as Statistical Process Control (SPC), to monitor and improve process yields and reduce costs.
- Analyze defects to root cause and implement sustainable corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Support the manufacturing team by providing technical expertise, developing training materials, and assisting with operator certification.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams for development and sustainment efforts.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Kopin is a defense contractor and is subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (green card holder) to be considered for this position.
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering.
- 2-5 years of experience in mechanical engineering, with a balanced focus on product development and manufacturing support.
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering principles and manufacturing processes.
- Proficiency in 2D/3D CAD software (SolidWorks, Pro/Engineer/ CREO, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and interpersonal communication skills.
Preferred Job Requirements:
- Experience with CNC machining, SLA 3D printing, and prototyping.
- Familiarity with clean room environments and optical mechanical design.
- Experience in designing production and process fixturing.
- Able to rotate from sitting to standing, lift up to 20 pounds, and gown according to clean room protocol.
Kopin Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and as such all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class. If an applicant needs a reasonable accommodation due to a disability with the application process, there is additional information on our website at www.kopin.com/about/careers/opportunities/.